Both Nema 14-50 and Tesla wall chargers are chargers for electric vehicles. But they differ in multiple ways, such as their speed, efficiency, cost, maintenance, etc. If you are looking for the best one to choose for your Tesla model, this article will help you. Today our discussion flows on the topic, ‘Nema 14-50 vs Tesla wall charger.’
What is a Nema 14-50 Outlet?
Neam 14-50 outlet is a powerful charging component of a 240-volt plug from Nema, the USA. It has a couple of hots, a single neutral prong and a single ground.
Its receptors and plugs come with a high capacity of 50-amp. You can run it in the electricity network of your home.
This charger belongs to the category Plug-In Level 2. So, the conduit uses either the electrical panel or the main panel, depending on the type of electrical installation.
There are mainly two main purposes of Nema 14-50. It is widely used to charge electric vehicles. Similarly, electric ovens are charged by this charger.
Pros and Cons of Using a Nema 14-50 Outlet for Tesla Charging
- Nema 14-50 is cheaper solution for Tesla charging.
- You can use Nema 14-50 for most electric vehicles, not only for Tesla. Therefore Nema 14-50 charging accessories are already available in most automobiles. So, you can use it for multiple vehicles.
- If the automobile has a mobile connector, purchasing Nema 14-50 is more cost-effective than a Tesla charger.
- You will need some additional equipment as well as accessories to charge the Tesla with Nema 14-50. Therefore, you have to spend money on them as well.
- If mistakes were made in the installation process, the charger will malfunction quickly.
- There is a risk for the mobile connector to be stolen if you use an outdoor-rated charger, Nema.
- Nema 14-50 needs an adaptor apart from the cable.
What is a Tesla Charger?
Tesla wall charger is a home charging solution from the Tesla company. Using this charger, you can charge your models, such as Model S, Model X, Model Y, etc.
According to the number of amps, the power at 240 volts varies. For instance, when the circuit breaker is 60 amps, the power is 11.5 kilowatts. So, you can customize the level of power.
You can connect the Tesla charger to your wi-fi network then it can receive the updates and handle diagnostics access. The cable of the charger is 7.3 long.
You can connect six chargers using a single circuit, but the vehicle can get enough power to charge.
Pros and Cons of Using a Tesla Wall Charger for Tesla Charging
- The charging speed is the fastest. You can charge a Tesla Model 3 long-range for 44 miles within an hour.
- The design looks posh and neat. Moreover, you can customize it with the color of your model.
- The process of removing and reinstalling is easy.
- You can manage the wall connector with Tesla software and firmware.
- There are options to adjust or dial the electrical output again.
- You can use only one circuit for several wall connectors.
- You cannot enhance the speed of charging for Model 3.
- Wall connectors can be only used for Tesla models. It does not support other automobiles.
- Since there is a bit of complex technology, sometimes errors can be raised. Then, you will need to contact experts for troubleshooting.
Speed and Efficiency Comparison
The speed rate is better in the Tesla wall connector. Its minimum rate is 50 amps. Within an hour, you can charge a Tesla Model 3 long-range to run up to 44 miles.
When compared with the Tesla charger, the speed rate of Nema 14-50 is lower by 20%. For instance, it can charge a Tesla Model 3 range at only 30 miles per hour.
There is software to manage the Tesla charger so you can experience those beneficial features. And single circuit can be used for several Tesla wall connectors.
Tesla charger can charge every Tesla model, but Nema 14-50 can only charge Tesla Model 3 standard range.
However, Nema 14-50 is a universal charger; you can charge other non-Tesla automobiles as well. Therefore, it is effective when we consider the aspect of universality.
Installation and Cost Comparison
When it comes to the price comparison, the Tesla wall connector is more expensive than Nema 14-50. At present, the Tesla charger costs over $500. In general, you have to spend approximately $2500 for both the Tesla charger and installation.
When you purchase the items separately, the cost becomes higher. You can get the service from a professional for installation, but it is possible to install it by yourself according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
But when you go for Nema 14-50, you have to purchase some accessories, especially an adapter, if the car has not equipped with those. But they are not as pricy as Tesla components. As experts advise, it would be better to contact an electrician for Nema 14-50 installation because it needs some subtle wiring.
Maintenance and Safety Comparison
You do not have to worry much about maintaining these components. If you install them in the correct technical ways, they will work for you without any issues. But when you want to remove and reinstall the charger, that work is easy for the Tesla wall charger.
There is an issue if you install a charger outdoors because it might be stolen. So, install them in a safe place.
Both chargers are safe to use for electric vehicles since they have been designed according to the standards. Make sure to use specific tools to install the chargers preciously. To know the specific characteristics of chargers, refer to the user manual.
Nema 14-50 vs Tesla Wall Charger: Which Option is Best for You?
According to the above comparison, it is clear that the Tesla wall connector is the best for charging Tesla models. Most importantly, you can apply it to different Tesla automobiles. And when we consider the money you spend on the charger, the Tesla wall connector is worth the money due to its value and high quality.
What’s more, you can charge the vehicle within a short time since it is faster and more powerful. So, if you drive for long hours daily, the Tesla wall charger is the best.
But if you use some non-Tesla models too, you can go for Nema 14-50 because it is universal.
Watch this one,
Video Credits – nukem384
You May Also Like