If you are tired of the old paint on the rims, you may be looking for a cheap and easy way to remove it from the rims. Yes, it is feasible to remove any pigment on the rims by yourself. So, stay with our discussion on ‘how to remove spray paint from rims’ to find the precious way of doing it.
Is it Possible to Remove Spray Paint from the Rims?
Yes, you can remove spray paint from rims without hiring a professional. However, although this task seems simple, it will be somewhat tricky. If the paint has been lasting for a long period of time, you may have to work hard on removing it.
And also, there are some factors you need to consider before doing this job. The first thing is you have to purchase a high-quality paint remover because some kinds of removers in the market may harm your rims. What’s more, the paint stripper may contain chemicals that are harmful to the rubber of the tires. So, it is vital to separate the rims from the tires before starting to remove the paint.
Besides, you will need protective clothing for your own safety and efficient tools to do the task.
Tools/materials you Need to Remove the Spray Paint
- A High-quality Paint remover
- Water and a hose or a pressure washer
- A car jack, lug wrench & pry bar (To remove the wheels)
- Old clothes or rags
- A stiff-bristle toothbrush or a small brush
- A Sandpaper or a drill with a brush
How to Remove Spray Paint from Rims Without Damaging Paint Underneath?
- First, the wheels of the vehicle should be removed using the toolkit. This step is necessary in order to do the cleaning properly and protect the rubber of the tires.
- Secondly, you should wear protective gloves and a mask because the paint and solvent can spread some harmful liquids and fumes. So do not skip this step. It is better to even wear long pants and sleeves for extra protection.
- Next, wash the wheels well using a hose or pressure washer. It is highly recommended to use a washer with high pressure to remove all the dust and debris. Proper washing will help paint remover to do its job well, too.
- To make sure whether the stripper can damage the wheels or not, you should do a test spot next. Take some paint remover and apply it to the spray paint. After a few minutes, wipe the remover off to find out whether it is safe or not. If it has not worked on the paint, you have to purchase another paint remover.
- Then apply the paint stripper, as all the sides of the rim are covered well. After, you will have to leave it on the rims for a while. The time may vary from one brand to the other, so read the instruction on the package.
- When the time is up, begin to wipe the stripper on the rims using some rags. When you are doing this step, you will be thankful for wearing long sleeves and pants because the thick and sticky mixture will make a mess when you are wiping.
- After you wipe with the rags, you will scrub the rims thoroughly using a toothbrush or a small brush until the paint vanishes completely.
- Now you can rinse the wheels using the hose again. Here check whether all the paint has been removed or not before going to the next step.
- Finally, after drying the wheels, you have to buff the wheels using sandpaper or a drill. Do not skip this part because it helps to smoothen the rims and secure their shine.
What is the Fastest Way to Remove Paint from Rims?
There is another way to remove stubborn pain from the rims faster. It is known as media blasting or sandblasting. Here abrasive substance and compressed air are combined to remove the paint as well as any other debris from the rims. So, this is a chemical-free but highly effective method to renew the rims of the vehicle.
To follow this method, basically, you need to have a sandblaster that cleans hard surfaces at high speed, along with an air compressor. As we discussed earlier, you need to remove the wheels first for sandblasting too. Then you should adhere to the instructions on the sandblaster.
And there is another effective alternative if you do not have enough time to do it by yourself. You can visit an automotive painter who is specialized in rim painting services to remove the spray paint.
Best Paint Remover for Rims
There are thousands of products in the market to remove spray paints. So, you will confuse about what to buy. Here, we have mentioned some recommendations to choose the right one. And keep in mind that these are chemicals, so always adhere to the instructions and warnings that have been mentioned on the package. It is dangerous to contact them with your eyes and skin. And sometimes, it will not be safe to even inhale those chemicals.
- Goo Gone – this one is able to thin the coat of painting and remove it well. And there will be a negligible damage on the rims, if you use this product.
- Goof Off – this company says that this product is safe to use even on tires, and it can be used on various surfaces.
- Acetone – this one is also good for removing spray paint, but it is a bit expensive.
- Sunnyside Corporation Hi-Speed Ready – this product makes a less mess when compared with others, and it can be used on different surfaces.
- Dumond SmartStrip – the product is a VOC- free product and works on various surfaces by loosening the paint.
How do you remove spray paint from aluminum?
If you want to remove spray paint on aluminum, first, you should find out what type of paint has been applied to it. you are not able to apply a regular paint remover on rust-preventative paint. If the paint is a regular one, you can use a normal paint stripper, but you will have to visit a professional if the paint is a rust-preventative one because it is dangerous and corrosive to deal with oxidized aluminum without knowledge.
You May Also Like