BMW is made for luxurious rides. So, having a reliable audio system is one thing that makes the ride comfortable. If there are glitches or faults with your BMW’s audio system, you might want to fix that issue by trying to reset it. How do I reset my BMW Audio System? Have you got any ideas? The rest of the audio systems change from generation to generation of BMWs. We’ll give you the methods of the standard way which might suit all the BMW models. But you should also refer to the user’s manual to find the best way to reset your BMW’s audio system.
What Is The Software Of BMW Infotainment System?
iDrive. The late models of most luxury, secondary vehicle systems, like BMW, use iDrive for communication and entertainment. This provides advanced options for the user, such as telephone contacts and texts, emails, seat settings, climate control settings, etc.
When To Reset Your BMW Audio System?
You might want to reset your BMW audio system in three possible instances. Let’s see what those are.
Experiencing technical faults and malfunctions.
The car stereo will sometimes experience glitches and get stuck and other possible faults. So, if the audio system is malfunctioning, you can try resetting it. This might be because of either a hardware issue or a firmware issue. Therefore, resetting the audio system can also help to fix that issue.
Replacing or reprogramming the audio system
If you have replaced the audio system of your car due to a hardware issue or if you have reprogrammed it due to a firmware issue, the audio system should undergo a reset to work properly. Resetting it will contribute you to use your audio easily as before.
Forgetting the security code
When the battery of your BMW is disconnected, the audio system will ask you for a five-digit code to enter once you start the engine. Resetting the audio system will help you to clear this out.
Can You Reset Your BMW Audio System By Disconnecting The Battery?
Yes. You can reset the audio system of the car by disconnecting the battery. Here are the steps to do it.
- Turn off your BMW.
- Find the battery in the bonnet.
- Loosen and take off the fastening nuts and bolts from the terminals.
- Remove the positive and negative cables connected to the battery and place them far from the terminals.
- Leave for at least about ten minutes.
- Connect the cables back in the exact way and fix the nuts and bolts too.
- Turn on the car to see whether everything, including the audio system, is working properly.
How Do I Reset My BMW Audio System?
The standard way of resetting the audio system of your BMW is easy. Follow the below steps to reset your BMW audio system.
- Turn on or start the engine of your car.
- Locate the power button of the audio system. You can find this near the volume knob.
- Press and hold down for at least about two to five seconds.
- Then, release the power button and wait for some time, probably about 30-90 seconds, before the next step. This will help the audio system to stabilize.
- You can repeat the 3rd and 4th steps once again or turn on the audio system now.
- Turn on the audio system to see whether the faults still happen.
How Do I Reset My BMW Radio Software?
To reset the iDrive software of the radio, you can try two methods.
- Turn off your car and disconnect the battery. Leave it for at least about 5 minutes and start the BMW and see whether the issues have been fixed.
- If not, you have to go for a hard reset. You have to disconnect the battery and the voltage supply to the battery as well. Leave the car for about 15 minutes and check if the issues are fixed or not.
How Do I Reset My BMW To Factory Settings?
The resetting methods are different depending on the Operating Systems of the BMWs.
If your BMW has OS7, try the below steps.
- Turn on the car and select “Car Menu” on the display.
- Find “Settings” and choose “General Settings” there.
- Then choose “Reset Vehicle Data” to reset the BMW software
For OS8, the below steps should work!
- Start the car and choose “Menu” on the display.
- Select “System Settings”.
- There, you can find the option of resetting the data of your BMW. Click on it.
By following these steps, your BMW will be reset to its factory settings, removing the personal preferences you’ve added before.
How Long Does It Take For A BMW Computer To Reset?
This will take about a maximum of 5 to 10 minutes. Then the computer will be restarted after going through the factory reset in the operating system.
Also, resetting your BMW’s ECU takes 10 to 15 minutes. You just have to wait 10 or 15 minutes after unplugging the negative cable from the battery terminals.
What Happens After You Reset BMW Infotainment System?
It will start to work properly as new! Most probably, there won’t be glitches or malfunctions, and you will feel at ease using the infotainment system as before after resetting it.
But, if there are still faults with the audio system of the BMW, check for signal problems also. Check whether the antennae of the BMW are loosened because of frequent vibrations of the vehicle. You might also want to fix it or replace it after looking for the issues in it.
If none of the above-mentioned methods didn’t help you with the malfunctions of the audio system, you should see a professional or go to a repair shop to diagnose the problems.
Recommended For You: