If you are a vehicle enthusiast, you must be on the internet searching for methods to renovate your vehicle into a modern, stylish appearance. If so, you may be considering installing wider tires onto your vehicle. However, this thought will pop the question: can you put wider tires on stock rims? Which we will be answering through this convoluted discussion. We will start with an accurate definition of what stock rims are until we find the answers to which factors we should be putting our attention to when we are going to put wider tires on our vehicles.
What are Stock Rims?
If you have no idea about vehicles or tires, you might wonder what these stock rims are. Hence, we will inform you about all that jazz in this section.
A stock rim, in other words, an OEM wheel; the abbreviation of Original Equipment Manufacturer is the rim that comes with your vehicle default.
These rims are installed on the vehicle by its original manufacturer, meaning they and your vehicle are matches made in heaven. Thus these are the original replicas of your vehicle rims that will perform the best on your vehicle.
Any rim or wheel made outside the manufacturing company for the particular vehicle is considered an aftermarket wheel that can damage your vehicle as well.
Do I Need New Rims If I Want Wider Tires?
Widening the size of the tires in your vehicle will be a work to be researched thoroughly before executing. Thus the question arises whether I need to change the rims as well when I install wider tires.
Tires are only one part of a whole system where tires, rims and many other components work together; therefore, most often, one rim size is adaptable for many tire sizes that go up or low from one to two inches.
Therefore it will not be necessary to change the rims into new ones. All these factors, therefore, depend on the size of the tires you will install in your vehicles. If the rims cannot hold those sizes, you might have to change the rims as well.
Can you Put Wider Tires on Stock Rims?
Most people love the elevated look that wider tires give to your vehicle, and they tend to install wider tires on their vehicles. But some of these people are still finding answers to whether it is okay to do so.
The answer is yes. It is also okay to do so until you take proper care of your vehicle afterward.
While we say that it is okay to invest in wider tires, we must give you a prior warning that there will be some negative effects of this action as well, which we will get into later in this article.
However, changing into wider tires will give your vehicle an elevated appearance and the ability to perform well as the friction is less, and you will not need much power to drive the vehicle. Moreover, you can easily go off-road or on a road trip without concern.
Is It Safe to Put Wider Tires on Stock Rims?
While we do say that it is okay to install wider tires on your vehicle, we say it with a caution warning as it also carries certain safety issues. Wider tires mean safety to many out there, but the truth is, they can also carry many dangers.
As the vehicle is not a default design for wider tires, you will have many complications with the fuel regulator and all those measuring meters equipping the vehicle. Moreover, you will face a problem when trying to handle the vehicle in traffic. Moreover, you can easily harm another vehicle on the way. Therefore wider tires do not mean more security at all times. Thus you must always pay attention to your vehicle’s needs and the things around it.
Potential Benefits of Using Wider Tires on Stock Rims150
While we stated the potential risks of installing wider tires on your stock rims, we must also inform you of the potential benefits. Therefore, the following points are considered to be the benefits of such an installment into your vehicle.
- If you install wider tires on your vehicle, there will be no doubt about an appearance upgrade as the wider tires will give your vehicle a muscular look that will make anyone look twice. Thus for aesthetic purposes, this option is one of the highest-ranked solutions.
- It will definitely increase the functionality of your vehicle as the Eider tires are more durable than the other regular ones, and it will give you much more ground to function properly without being interrupted by millions of issues.
- This option will also improve fuel economy, which is an added benefit to your wallet.
- The wider the tire, the lower the rolling resistance of such tire is.
What are the Disadvantages of Wider Tires?
As much as we like to stop our discussion of the benefits of utilizing wider tires, it would be a crime to mislead dear readers. Therefore we will be taking you through the potential disadvantages as well.
- First, with the width, the weight is increased, ultimately affecting the acceleration and steering procedure. Thus the acceleration and the steering will be reduced due to the weight of the overall vehicle added to the new tires.
- As we have mentioned earlier, when you go beyond the recommended tire sizes, your speedometers cannot calculate the exact numbers to the point.
- When the speedo and other meters malfunction, there is a huge threat to the driver’s life.
- You will find it harder to control and manage the vehicle with larger and wider tires in traffic and emergency situations.
Factors to Consider Before Putting Wider Tires on Stock Rims
When it comes to determining whether or not to install a new set of wider tires on your vehicle, there are some major facts to take into consideration, which we will be discussing in this segment. Those factors are as down below,
- First of all, new tires or not, the most important thing in a vehicle renovation is the safety of the driver and the passengers. If this act harms you negatively, we advise you to reconsider investing in wider tires.
- You must find the best fit for your existing rims or change the whole wheelset alongside the rims.
- You must pay proper attention to the air capacity of the wider tires you expect to invest in.
- Then the “load index,” which is the maximum weight that a tire can support, must also be on your “to pay attention list” as well.
Watch this one,
Video Credits – Fitment Industries
You May Also Like